Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I'm not sure I'd have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself -- UConn loses. We saw the last 15 minutes only. I couldn't believe they had only scored 23 points in the first 25 minutes. They looked desperate the whole time -- Conlon looked shaky at the point, Taurasi started throwing up desperation threes with 5 minutes left... and none of them fell. Only in the last two minutes did they really start to tighten down the press, and only then did they start to score like usual. But it was too late. Villanova was clutch at the end, especially from the FT line. A great win for that program. Great game for Juhline.

So. What does it mean? The streak is over at 70, so they won't be able to challenge the 88-game Wooden streak. UConn will still be a #1 seed. Will UConn get tougher, or will they get scared? I don't know. But other teams out there will now believe that they can beat the Huskies. oh man.... it'll be madness.