Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, June 29, 2003

From the Ventura Star, another article on the WNBA's marketing strategy, whether it's too sexy, etc. I think we've talked about this issue enough.

One bad note -- the article says attendance is down this year. Things were strong in the first week or so, but since then the fans have been losing some interest. This year's average sits at 8,787, down about 5% from last year.

The Courant reports on Thibault and Laimbeer, guys schooled in guys hoops who have now switched to the women's game.

At ESPN.com, Voepel talks about how Laimbeer has turned the Shock around.

Says coach: "I'm very much enjoying myself. The women listen very well to me, respect what I have accomplished. I treat them as professional basketball players and I know how you should manage them. I was a very smart player and we (the Pistons) were a smart team, we were self-motivated. The coach was there to guide us through the problems, and that's how I'm trying to do it now.''