Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, June 27, 2003

Rough times for Jackie Stiles, reports the Portland Tribune.

Stiles took a big pay cut to go with LA in the first place, but because of her injury, they're not paying her at all. Based on the crappy league rules, LA can retain the rights to Stiles without paying her or putting her on the IR.

So Jackie not only has to deal with a serious injury -- she's also without a paycheck (and insurance?).

She's moved back home with her family in Missouri. She's gonna work on rehabilitation and try to run some basketball camps to make a little money. But Stiles remains optimistic: even though it's been a struggle, she plans to be back next year. "I've learned one thing: When I get back out on the court, and I'm 100 percent, I'll enjoy every minute I'm out there."

She can be an amazing player to watch. I hope she makes it back.