Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Ok. I've been meaning for sometime to make my pick for MVP, and to post some brilliant analysis proving why I'm right. But honestly, I just can't decide.

Making the playoffs matters. I'm not saying it's an absolute rule -- I'm not saying that you can never win the MVP if your team doesn't make the playoffs. But making the playoffs is a big plus.

The playoffs aren't just important because winning is everything -- it isn't. But your team's success can show some intangibles. Some people (like Swin Cash) help their team by being a leader on and off the floor, and that doesn't always get reflected in the individual stats. Some people (like, maybe, Chamique Holdsclaw) get great individual numbers, but don't always seem to be helping in the intangible ways.

That's why I think winning, and making the playoffs, matters.

Which makes this year hard. It's a big minus for Catchings and LJ that they couldn't get their teams in. It's a big plus for Swin that she not only got her team in the playoffs, but lead it to the best record in the league.

Leslie is also a reasonable choice even though she missed 11 games. LA's 4-7 record in her absence proves her value.

Unfortunately, I don't think Katie Smith really deserves to be considered with LJ, Catchings, Cash, and Leslie. Nor does Holdsclaw -- she too missed a lot of games, I don't think she's a good leader, and her team finished at the very bottom.

But between those 4, I think it's basically a toss-up. I won't be unhappy with any of those picks.

For more debate, check out the WNBA Talk thread here.