Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, September 09, 2003

I didn't get to go to the game last night. I wanted to, but I was with a bunch of other folks who didn't. We watched on TV, and near the end of the game (going down to the wire, great finish), my friends were like: "Dude, we should have gone."

No kidding.

It was certainly exciting, even though it wasn't the prettiest game ever, and it wasn't the result I wanted.

The Monarchs were proud of their effort, but thoroughly disappointed with the result.

Said owner Gavin Maloof: "We're very, very proud of what he's done and proud of this team. But I'm getting sick of losing to teams from Los Angeles. Whether it's the Kings or the Monarchs, one of these days we're going to beat L.A."

Many of the Monarchs were upset with the reffing. The blocking call on DeMya Walker really made them mad.

I hate to agree with the refs or LA, but to me it looked like an obvious flop. Walker's acting just wasn't that good. Her timing was off -- she went down too late. And you can't really get a charge call inside like that when the offensive player is starting right next to you from a stand-still.