Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, October 12, 2003

It's been a bizarre few days on the women's golf tour.

In an interview with Golf Magazine, Aussie veteran Jan Stephenson said that the Asian golfers such as Se Ri Pak and Grace Park are killing the game.

"This is probably going to get me in trouble, but the Asians are killing our tour. Absolutely killing it," she told the magazine. "Their lack of emotion, their refusal to speak English when they can speak English. They rarely speak."

Stephenson went on to say that lesbian golfers were also a problem.

"I used to get teased by the girls that I didn't need a woman problem because I always had a man problem," she said. "They never really bothered me, because they knew I was straight. Society is more open now about gay relationships, but it does hurt the tour. It hurts with sponsors. But if you had two gorgeous girls who were gay, I don't think that would hurt."

Annika called Stephenson's comments "pathetic."

"I totally disagree with what she said. It's sad that it was said, and I enjoy playing with Se Ri [Pak]. All the Asian players have done a lot for the tour and raised the level of golf, which is why we're here. It's pretty much a pathetic comment."

Stephenson has now issued an apology.

Things got weird again today on the course. Sophie Gustafson won the Samsung, but there were two different places in the tournament where it appeared that she should have been assessed penalty strokes.

At one point, she set up to putt, but before she hit the ball, it rolled away. If she had grounded her club, she should have been assessed a penalty. I was watching, and it looked obvious that she had... but she denied it, and the rules officials went with her story.

Annika was getting close to the lead, but shanked one into the water at the end. She finished 3 back.