Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, November 18, 2003

For weeks, the word was that Charde Houston would pick UConn.

Then, last week, she cancelled her press conference and delayed her announcement. Charde had second thoughts -- Texas had worked its way back into the picture.

But after thinking it over for a few extra days, she has decided that Storrs is the right place for her after all. She'll make her official announcement in a few hours.

Houston is grateful for the opportunity. "I never thought I had the skills to go to a top-five college and all of the finalists were top-five programs. I'm going to be the first in my family to go to college. My goal all along has been to earn a scholarship so my mother doesn't have to work three jobs to support me."

She is also no doubt grateful that the process is over. She, like many others, has said that the recruiting process is very stressful.