Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Geno human?

Probably. He couldn't calm his team down and get them to break the press. And why didn't the Huskies use a timeout or their foul to give on the last play?

"How come I didn't call [a full] timeout when we got the rebound before we ran that play for Diana and tell them, `Look, if we score, let's foul them or let's call timeout?'" Auriemma said. "I didn't do that. So what am I going to do, come in and yell at my players for not doing some things that we worked on? I don't do that. I'd rather kill them when we win and play bad, which is what I always do."

For the last two years, it's seemed like Duke has had a more athletic, probably more talented bunch of players than UConn, but Geno has had the coaching edge over Gail. Saturday, that wasn't the case.