Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, January 09, 2004

Sara started playing in a new league the other night. The other team had a coach, uniforms, and they ran warm-up drills. We weren't sure that we were in the right place.

It was a wacky game. The other team was utterly devoid of talent, but most of the players on our side just met each other that night. So it stayed close.

At the end, Sara could have put away the game with free throws, but she missed a bunch. In the dozen years I've watched her play -- women's leagues in San Francisco, New Haven, and Minneapolis, back through college and high school -- I've never seen her do that.

But, she got back to her old self in OT, nailed 4 free throws in a row to put the game away.

Oh, and I almost got thrown out again. Sara got totally hacked and I said: "She's getting her ass kicked out there!" The ref told me that I needed to calm down and watch my language.