Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, February 26, 2004

Washington is still hoping to make the dance. Tied for sixth and .500 in the Pac 10, right now they're out.

"Right now, our team goal is to get into the NCAA Tournament and in order to do that, we have to win the Pac-10 Tournament," senior guard Gioconda Mendiola said. "That's what we're going out to do."

The Huskies have a homestand coming up as the Arizona teams come to town. They start with ASU tonight.

This game has some bad feelings attached to it. When the two teams met earlier this year, the Mendiolas and ASU fans were involved in an ugly incident.

ASU fans students the sisters all night long, and they made frequent reference to the family's legal troubles. "You can say all you want about how I suck, how I play or that I'm ugly," said Giuli. "I couldn't care less. But when people keep saying stuff about my family, I won't allow that."

After the game, Giuli went over and confronted them. Someone took a swing at her, and then her dad came over and punched a student in the face. The police came, but no one pressed charges. The Pac 10 may still take action.

So the Mendiolas really want the win tonight. "Let's just say I haven't forgotten it," said Giuli.