Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, March 26, 2004

The Gauchos, having played the first two rounds in their own Thunderdome, are now preparing for a David-and-Goliath matchup against UConn in Hartford.

Of course, April McDivitt has been through this all before. Before transferring to the Gauchos, April played for the Vols.

In McDivitt's last game against the Huskies, Tennessee got blown out, and she had a rough game. After the 2002 season, she decided to leave Tennessee and move to a more relaxed life where she could have a life outside basketball. Santa Barbara -- one of the most beautiful places in the world -- has been a great fit.

"After my junior year, I stepped back and evaluated my priorities," said McDivitt. "What I wanted and what Tennessee needed - it just wasn't a good fit. I was thankful that Coach [Pat] Summitt handled my transfer the way she did."

Now April is a leader for the Gauchos squad. And she also gets to surf.