Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, March 22, 2004

Last year Miami was the last at-large team in the tournament. I didn't think they belonged. They lost the first round to New Mexico in the Pit, but they played tough.

This year Miami was a lock. In the first round, they got paired against Maryland, who got the last seat this year when the music stopped.

I thought the Terps probably didn't belong this year. But the Terps proved me wrong by upsetting the 'Canes.

It was the first tournament win for Maryland since 1992.

"This is a very, very special win for this team and our program," coach Brenda Frese said. "We came into this game really focused, as we have all season. Most people counted us out but it was tremendous to see the will of this team. Miami played a hard-fought game."

I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Brenda for abandoning Minnesota after only one year. But she is a great coach -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Maryland in the Final Four in a few years. I'll probably be cheering against her, but she'll have my respect nonetheless.