Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, April 05, 2004

A close game with a heartbreaking finish for LSU. It was a tough game where no one could pull away. Even with several minutes left -- and especially with six seconds left -- it seemed destined for overtime. But then the Vols trapped, the ball got loose, and it was over.

Temeka Johnson: "I just lost the ball I guess. I feel as though I owe (senior) Doneeka (Hodges) an apology for not getting her what we were trying to get. I just lost the ball -- turnover on my part."

Pokey says that play wasn't the game. "Temeka is going to take (the turnover) away from here and I hope use it in a positive light for motivation," Chatman said. "But she needs to forget it. The ballgame was won in the paint in terms of second-chance points. The stats sheet clearly tells that story."

Second-chance points were important, especially in a game where it often seemed no one could hit a shot, even a layup.

"It was one of the ugliest games we've played all year, and we still managed to win," Tasha Butts said. "I think that says a lot about our team."

Tennessee's offense didn't get much done. "I probably should talk about my lack of ability to coach the first 20 minutes," coach Summitt said. "We struggled tonight offensively."

The Vols defense kept them close. They did a particilarly good job containing Seimone Augustus, who finished with only 16 points on 7-for-21 shooting.

Another nailbiter and another victory for Tennessee. Said Ashley Robinson: "It's like the grace of God."