Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, April 15, 2004

LJ has some nagging injuries, and her conditioning is generally a problem anyway... but she's heading to Russia anyway because she wants the money.

"That is pretty much the only reason I am doing it," she said. "I wouldn't do it for nothing. I wouldn't give up two weeks of my very important time off for nothing. But I am a female athlete and I can't expect offers like this to come around every day. I'm a bit sad about leaving but you don't get a lifetime in my sport, so I need to do what I can do now."

It's not really good news for Seattle, but coach Donovan isn't upset.

"I really believe players need to make money while they can," Anne said. "I think it's OK. There's enough time before camp, and if she hasn't recovered enough we can bring her along slowly like we did last season. From talking to her, her injuries aren't anything serious."