Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, June 05, 2004

Nykesha had an off night so Wendy Palmer picked up the slack. She had 21 on 8-for-12 shooting and 10 boards to boot.

"I just wanted to do all I can," Palmer said. "I wanted to be a spark. That's what this team is all about. I just tried to give everything I had."

Holdsclaw had a dominant night, but (as usual) didn't get much help. She is still waiting for some help on the inside. "We need somebody who's definitely going to be a presence inside for us consistently," she said. "Having that one player to pound it in to."

Mique got a T in the second half for taunting Debbie Black after a foul. The incident got the team and the crowd fired up for a couple minutes, but the Sun soon regained the lead and coasted in.

Speaking of Mique: a couple folks have written in saying I'm too hard on her. I should clarify -- I think she's amazing to watch, and I think she and Catchings are the two most talented players in the world.

My impression is that she's a difficult teammate, and I think it's totally inappropriate when she publicly criticizes her teammates. But that said, it's not her fault that she's been surrounded by a subpar supporting cast and subpar coaches.