Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Spoon returns to the Garden tonight. She will try to show the Lib what they missed by letting her go.

"It wasn't something I took very well," said Teresa. The frustration lingers: "[N]obody even thought I could play this game. So how is a championship team going to call me, and I can't play? That says a lot."

"It was the hardest decision I've had to make in eight years," said New York GM Carol Blazejowski. "We needed to find a way to get Becky (Hammon) in as a starter, and we had other players we had to sign."

Coach Richie was somewhat less gracious -- he thinks she should have hung it up. "She's 38, was a great player and had a great career," he said. "She averaged 30 minutes a game for us last year and is now averaging (7.5). I don't have to say anything else. It's obvious."