Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Two contrasting stories today about life after sports.

Eli Saslow profiles Kerri Strug, who has put gymnastics in her past and now works as a lawyer in DC. She looks back at the sacrifices she made and wonders if it was worth it.

"Now that I'm out of the sport, I look back and think, 'Why did I get so nervous?'" said Strug. "I mean, it was a gym meet. Why was it so important to do well? My perspective has changed. You don't really realize how silly it all is."

In the Times, Juliet Macur profiles Tammy Thomas, a former world champion biker who has been banned for life for steroid use. She now lives in LA, surviving on minimum wage, dealing with disgrace.

"Every day is the same day," Thomas said. "I used to be well respected. I made my parents proud. Now I've embarrassed my family. For the rest of my life, wherever I go and whatever I do, I'm going to be known as a cheater."