Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, August 16, 2004

The women's soccer squad has gotten off to a good start with wins over Greece and Brazil. Tomorrow they face off against Australia, 11 AM on MSNBC.

We will be without our young star Abby Wambach, who got two yellow cards in Saturday's game.

"Getting that second yellow is a little heartbreaking," Wambach said after the game. "That's when I had to kick in my professionalism and say to myself that this is the last time I can play in the first round, so I tried to play my heart out and help the team as much as I could without getting a red card and having us play a man down. I want to be able to help my team and wear that jersey every game. That's why I'm here, to help my team, and if I can't do that, I feel like I am letting my team and my country down. But I am confident in the players that will replace me and whatever Australia will throw at us, we'll be able to deal with."

The Australia game is the last of the preliminaries. After that, things will get tougher. As Robert Weintraub says at Slate today, U.S. women's soccer no longer enjoys the prominence it once did.

It's partly that (aside from Wambach) we haven't had enough good young players come up to replace the Hamm generation. It's partly because some of the European teams have just gotten so much better, passing by former powers like us and China.

But you never know... maybe Mia and the sisters have a little magic left for their last performance.