Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, August 26, 2004

Yo Griffith's amazing one-handed rebounds have earned her a new nickname. "We joke around with Yolanda and call her `Go, Go Gadget Arms' but that's what she really looks like,'' said Sue Bird. "She just sticks those arms out there and sucks everything in.''

Yo remains all business. "If we are up by 15 points, we want to go up by 20," she said. "If we are up by 20, we want to go up by 25. Right now we are just trying to keep our focus."

Leslie agrees: "I've been taught that there is always room for improvement. The day that you think you're the best is the day you stop being the best."

Lisa enjoys the Olympic stage, still probably the biggest in women's hoops. Yesterday she used the opportunity to engage in a some mild trash-talking with Russians: "I heard they said they'd get their gold-medal shirts ready. I don't know what's fact or not. All I know is that I'm playing for the USA."