Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Lisa Leslie on the MVP: "Everybody talks about whether it's Lisa or Lauren (Jackson). No, it's just Lisa and by the time I'm done with what I have to do, there will be no doubt. I'm not big into individual honors, it's all about championships with me. I just feel a little slighted and frustrated with all the talk about who is the MVP."

(She appears to have picked up the habit of referring to herself in the third person, typically a sign of egomania or creeping dementia, or both.)

The reason people campaign against Lisa for the MVP every year is that they don't like her. The reason they don't like her is because she says stuff like this.

She is right -- she deserves the award. But why does she have to blow her own horn? How about something like: "I'm proud of my team's performance and my personal performance this year, but there are lots of great players. It's an honor to be considered, but whoever wins will be deserving."

Is that so hard?