Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, September 09, 2004

Lo Jack returned and Seattle gave Detroit a big old beat down. Sue Bird led the way with 23 on 8-for-9 shooting, plus 8 assists, 3 steals, only 2 turnovers.

"(Lauren) looked a little off, but what a difference maker she is for us," coach Donovan said. "We're such a better team when she's there. Offensively and defensively, we're much more confident."

In the Seattle Times today, Steve Kelley wonders about LJ's health. She plays a ton all over the world. She struggles with various injuries. Her conditioning is always a question mark.

Coach Donovan also worries, especially after seeing how non-Storm doctors treat Lauren. In Athens, they shot her foot up with cortisone.

"When she had both of those cortisone shots it concerned me greatly because it's not our way," Donovan said. "It's not the way we do things over here. Professional athletes know now they can't do that to their bodies. Lauren was relatively healthy when she was here. Then I saw her in Athens and she told me she had the first injection and then when she told me she had the second injection a day later. I was just incredulous."

LJ says no worries. "Am I playing too much basketball? No, not at all. It's just one of those things that you love. I'm having fun. And I don't put pressure on myself."