Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, November 07, 2004

This morning brings the most in-depth examination of the Shalicia Hurns situation to date, from Brad Parks at the Star-Ledger. The article is titled "A troubled journey, a system failure."

Coach Stringer explains her decision to give Hurns a second (or rather, third) chance at Rutgers.

There are some who only want to work with the already-haves of the world. I want to work with the have-nots who want to fulfill themselves... I've been a person whose been given a second chance. I think all of life is about second chances. Do we all fulfill those chances and the promises of the people who have given those second chances? Not always. If we all understand that coaches are more than X and O people and coaches are supposed to change people's lives, then you understand what I was trying to do here.


That is a noble sentiment. But the article questions whether Stringer really looked into Hurns's background before offering her a spot at Rutgers. She did not, for example, make any attempt to contact Stephanie Smith, who coached Hurns at Wabash and kicked her off the team after a violent episode at practice.

Stringer wouldn't say what sort of research she did. "I'll just say we did our research and we made our decision. And we'll be at peace with this. And I'll leave it at that."

I have the utmost respect for Coach Stringer. There are college coaches in this world who will do anything, bend any rule, put up with any sort of behavior, in order to get talent on their team -- I've never thought of Vivian as being that sort of person.

I am a little troubled, however, by her response to this. She seems fairly defensive, unwilling to admit that this situation wasn't handled quite like it should have been.

Why not just say: "You know, it's important to me to give troubled kids a second chance, and that's what I was trying to do with Shalicia, but in retrospect, I should have at least talked to her former coach before bringing her into my program." I don't understand why she refuses to take responsibility for at least that much error.