Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, January 24, 2005

More reaction to Eric Adelson's Rick Lopez story and the issue of sexual misconduct by coaches --

Eric at Off Wing argued last week that exhaustive background checks for coaches may be the best solution.

SWE looks at Adelson's writing.

X-Over has some good thoughts and also a bunch of helpful links.

Regarding my suggestion that adult coaches shouldn't be alone with minor players, Pilight says: "I am frankly amazed that this isn't already the rule. In the company I work for (a large national retailer with over 300,000 employees) it's against the rules to have a one-on-one closed door meeting with another employee and has been for all the years that I've worked here. Either the office door stays open or you bring in a witness. That's with everyone being an adult."

Yep, I think the sports world is behind the times on this issue. Over a decade ago, I had to go to a sexual harassment class in order to be a church camp counselor. Do girls' basketball coaches receive any such training? I'm sad to say I doubt it.

Betty Bean wonders whether a criminal trial for Lopez might have helped to raise awareness of the issue and teach other parents some lessons.

In terms of legal responses, we might also wonder whether civil lawsuits loom. The threat of lawsuits is part of what motivated corporations, schools, and churches to implement sexual harassment guidelines and training. Institutions in sport may be inviting liability if they fail to do the same.