Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, February 15, 2005

After Stacy Johnson-Klein was suspended and ordered not to contact team members, she sent an email to her players seeking their loyalty.

"Please don't let someone on the outside come in and turn you against me as a person," she wrote. "I have always tried to keep your best interest at heart, knowing sometimes I make mistakes too and have hurt your feelings with words, BUT only around basketball, only trying to win a game or challenge you to be better. Be loyal."

"I need you. I need you to only be honest and true and think past the emotions of this year, hump year, year three, growing pains year, and remember the good times. Remember the love. I am just so so sorry."

Fresno State president John Welty had sent Johnson-Klein a letter that said, in part, "You are directed not to have any contact with any person affiliated with the women's basketball program, including student athletes, assistant coaches and trainers." Johnson-Klein's attorney, however, maintains that "The spirit of [Welty's] letter was not violated." Depends on what the meaning of "is" is, I guess. Nice lawyering, dumbass.

Jo Williams, meanwhile, wants everyone to stop blaming her and her daughter for Johnson-Klein's suspension. "If they just wait they'll see what got her fired."