Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, February 11, 2005

Another bizarre coaching situation, this one at Fresno State, where Stacy Johnson-Klein was placed on administrative leave Wednesday "pending an investigation into allegations of several serious violations of university policies."

The suspension has something to do with Tiffany Williams, Tamika's younger sister, who was dismissed from the team in December. It sounds as if Williams has alleged that Johnson-Klein made racial remarks toward her.

Johnson-Klein says Williams was dismissed for "Academic reasons and production reasons on the floor, in practice, and that's all I'll talk about with her."

Tiffany's mom Jo flew out from Ohio last week to meet with school administrators; sounds like she may have come out to make a complaint. "I was told that Jo Williams wanted two things: me to be fired, and her daughter to have a scholarship for four years," Johnson-Klein said. Jo Williams denies that she tried to get Stacy fired.

Johnson-Klein plans to fight. "I don't know what to say. I want to protect myself and I want my job. That's the main thing I want ... my job. I want to do what's right. I want the university to do what's right. If there are lies, if there are allegations, I can't confirm that. If it's my personality, because I'm high-spirited and emotional in saying things on the court, well I don't know any coaches that don't. I coach the way I was coached."

Stacy also describes this situation as a "mutiny": "my people have turned against me." Earlier this week (when she also made headlines for leaving a restaurant without paying the bill) however, she was overheard saying, "I hate my staff."

This saga likely won't be complete without a nasty lawsuit. So, just to get things rolling in that direction, Stacy's lawyer says that this whole thing is just retaliation for Stacy's complaints of gender discrimination and sexual harassment.

Fresno Bee columnist John Branch says Stacy is an attention-seeker whose celebrity has smothered the program.