Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, March 24, 2005

It just gets weirder and more obscure at Penn State. The school today released a statement that said simply:
Reserve guards Jennifer Harris (Harrisburg, Pa.) and Lisa Etienne (Norwalk, Conn.) have requested and received a release from the Penn State women's basketball team. Under NCAA rules, the players are now allowed to speak with other schools regarding a transfer.Harris averaged 5.9 ppg and 1.7 rpg over two seasons for the Lady Lions. Etienne, a freshman, played in 10 games this year, averaging 3.9 minutes per contest, 0.5 ppg and 0.6 rpg.
Not mentioned was Amber Bland, whose status is "in limbo," according to Coach Portland.

Coach Portland denied that Harris and Etienne had been kicked off the team, but Harris says she wanted to stay.

"I can clear one thing up for you," said Harris. "I have not asked for a release. If it was up to me, I'd stay here. I'd still be here next year. But that's out of my control, I guess. It wasn't my decision to make."

In fact, Harris isn't even sure why she was kicked off. "Emotions were high, we'd just lost. Maybe [Portland] made the decision on a whim, just because everybody was so upset. I wouldn't really guess. All I can say is, from my opinion, it had nothing to do with my play on the court. Because in my opinion, my play was good. And it was nothing off the court -- no criminal activity, nothing with grades. I really don't know."

Coach Portland gave only one cryptic statement offering any glimmer of explanation. "The players who are here are dedicated and hard working," she said. "We have high expectations here at Penn State. We have standards. The majority of the kids here live up to them."