Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, June 26, 2005

In other sports --

It looks like Annika won't reach her goal of winning the Slam. She's 5 back entering the final round. She still has a slim hope (see, e.g., Tiger at Pinehurst), and she says she'll fight to the end, but it's a long shot.

Among the three players tied for the lead are two amateurs: Michelle Wie and Morgan Pressel. If either won, she'd be the youngest ever. "I actually saw that on Golf Channel trivia the other day," said Wie.

Across the pond, an injured and out-of-shape Serena Williams lost at Wimbledon yesterday, marking her earliest Grand Slam exit since the French in 1999.

"I guess I had a lot of rust," Williams said. "I mean, the other days I kind of played through it, and the second and third set got better. But today, I just didn't do anything right. I think I was better off staying home, to be honest."

Andy Murray, the great new hope of the Henman Hill set, also lost.

And at the U.S. track and field championships in California, Marion Jones withdrew from the preliminaries for the women's 100 on Friday.