Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, September 16, 2005

Ailene Voison says the Monarchs have only themselves to blame.

And DeMya Walker knows it. "This is all my fault," she said of Wyckoff's three and the resulting loss. "There are no excuses. I have been playing in this league for six years. I have been programmed. I know when not to foul. It was just a stupid mistake."

"There was no reason when the ball went to Taj, where she could only make a two, that somebody would leave their player wide open," said coach Whisenant. "But it happened, and that's basketball."

"I had a feeling I might be open," Wyckoff said. "All I remember is seeing Taj look at me."

Taj had a remarkable all-around game with 24 points, 16 boards, and great defense... and she made the perfect pass out of the trap. She said that Brooke looked terrified. “You didn't see that face when I passed to her."

How did Brooke feel after? "First it was a feeling of relief (that) we were back in the game, and that I actually hit the shot and wasn't the dork that missed it at the end. This is what you play the game for is moments like that."

Voepel loves that response:
That's how most role-player athletes feel, but not everyone comes right out and admits it. But Wyckoff is the kind who just says what's in her head. It's cool.
Jeff Jacobs revels in Wyckoff's undeniable glee.

Brooke's shot took the wind out of the Monarchs' sails; they were flat in OT. Now they need figure out how to move forward.