Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, October 26, 2005

ESPN has now put the whole Swoopes interview online.

The paper of record picks up the story. Swoopes tells the Times: "Me coming out does not change what the W.N.B.A. stands for as a basketball league. I don't think there's any secret that the huge support we get comes from the gay and lesbian community. It's unfortunate that people... are not able to feel like they can be who they are. They lose endorsements; they lose friends and family."

Noting Swoopes' earlier financial troubles, the Times puts her Olivia endorsement deal in the six-figure range.

Swoopes says Olivia asked her to become a spokeperson after noticing her on their passenger list: "It's funny, when I booked the cruise I didn't even think about people seeing my name on this list full of lesbians... I guess I didn't care. I just felt like, if I'm going to do the cruise and I'm going to be the face of Olivia, why not just come all out?"

In People magazine, Swoopes talks about her seven-year romance with Alisa Scott, which began after her 1998 divorce.

Academics, advocates and Houston residents offer more support. Comets fan Donna Junker: "Yes! yes! yes!"