Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, October 17, 2005

Michelle Wie played her first tournament as a professional this weekend. It ended badly.

Despite poor putting and erratic fairway wood play, Wie scored an -8, which would have been good enough for fourth in the elite Samsung field. But after her final round yesterday, she was disqualified after rules officials determined that she took an illegal drop on Saturday.

Michael Bamberger, a Sports Illustrated writer, noticed the infraction and turned her in. "I just felt she was hasty," Bamberger said. "She wasn't trying to cheat. I was unsure of the right thing to do, but the more I thought about it, the more I'd be upset with myself if I didn't say anything."

NBC commentator Mark Rolfing called the ruling a travesty. "I really don't think this is the way the rules of golf ought to be policed," he said.

Mulligan at the Golf Blog agrees that Wie got a raw deal.

Wie was emotional but gracious. "I learned a great lesson," Wie said. "From now on, I'll call a rules official no matter where it is, whether its 3 inches or 100 yards. I respect that."

Annika won in a landslide.