Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Saturday, December 03, 2005

C. Vivian Stringer once led Iowa to a Final Four. Tonight she brings her top-ten Scarlet Knights back to Carver-Hawkeye Arena, the first time Stringer has brought her Rutgers team there.

CVS has memories, and lots of them. ""The last time I was in Carver was for my press conference to announce my leaving. I cried, the press cried, everybody cried.

"I just remember the warmth of the fans and the gold and black. The best thing about the happiness I had was that I had my husband, my two sisters and my daughter always sitting in the same spot, and my mom was always there."

Coach Stringer's husband passed away suddenly in 1992; she left Iowa for New Jersey in 1995.

Her current team has Final Four potential, if they can get past early injuries: Essence Carson and Cappie Pondexter might be feeling the pressure.