Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sports writers and newspaper editors continue to express outrage over Tuesday's Portland decision.

CBS Sportsline commentator Michael Bradley terms the disciplinary moves against Portland 'gutless'.
What a strong showing by Penn State in the Rene Portland matter. Right. Merely fining her for intolerance at a state university that clearly declares it won’t tolerate discrimination was gutless. And lest you think this incident was isolated, think again.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports editor Jerry Micco wants Penn State to make a statement.

I've run sports departments at three newspapers over the past 17 years, and I can tell you without a doubt that if I did either thing that Rene Portland has done to my employees, I'd not be running a sports department. I think that probably sums up how I feel... I don't think they should hide behind no comments on this matter.
Tomorrow's Digital Collegian sounds off in an editorial, 'Rene Portland: University Approves Discrimination'.
Let's simplify this, Portland violated a policy that the university enacted in response to her previous admittance of discrimination against lesbians..

How many talented young women does she have to ban from her program before some serious measures are taken?