Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, October 01, 2006

Voepel uncovers turmoil at K-State. In recent years, several players and assistants have left amid accusations of abusive tactics by coach Deb Patterson.

Even former star Kendra Wecker left with bad feelings. "[I]f I would have felt six years ago what I feel now, there’s no way in the world that I would have gone there," says Wecker.

Voepel uncovered an NCAA violation, which K-State reported last week.

Several players and coaches also complained about being forced to sit through mandatory religious sessions. Patterson's pregame program included a practice called "chapel," which players believed was required. Patterson said she wasn't sure whether it was required or not: "I don’t honestly remember all the details."

This investigation is printed in eight chapters in today's KC Star. It's not pretty. (And yet... Patterson was given a contract extension last week.)

What's most depressing to me is how completely unsurprising this story is.