Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, December 29, 2006

If you think male practice players matter only for big schools, or Division I schools, or schools that spend tons of money on athletics, you should probably think again.

Macalester College, where Steve teaches, is a Division III school that decided to stop playing women's basketball entirely for the '04-05 season when an already shorthanded squad kept getting hurt. The team played less than a full schedule last year: "If we could just keep enough people on the roster to get through the schedule, we were pretty confident we could keep the program going and start rebuilding," guard Callie PaStarr recalls.

Coach Ellen Thompson came to Mac a year ago; she played on the 1991 St Thomas team that won a Division III national championship, and worked at St Thomas from 1998 to '05 as an assistant coach.

Last week we asked coach Thompson about male practice players at Macalester. Her response:

"The male practice squad is sure a hot topic right now in women's basketball. We did not use such a squad at St. Thomas. While I was there, we always had big squads and pretty good teams. I don't know if there was a policy against it, but it was never really brought up as an option.

"I have used male practice squad members at Macalester. We absolutely could not have survived last year without them because our numbers were so low. [Emphasis added.] We still use them this year because it gives our team a chance to practice against stronger, faster competition. The practice squad is not limited to only males. We have had a few women on the squad.

"I believe that being on the squad gives people a chance to play the game they love without a full time commitment. It is also a chance for them to help our program. I've seen many of our practice members at our games supporting us.

"I believe that practice squads should continue, but I'm fine with some limitations. We only use our practice squad in scrimmage situations. They do not participate in our drills, nor do I believe they should. I think a limitation on the number of days per week is fine, as is limiting the size of the squad.

"I try to be conscious of the gender equity issue. I don't want my players to feel as though their opportunities are limited because of the practice squad. Generally, we scrimmage against the squad and I have a chance to rotate all of my players in during the scrimmage, rather than having part of my team playing 'scout' team all the time."

After an upset victory over Wisconsin-River Falls, this year's Scots improved to 2-5 (0-4 in conference). Mac plays eleven home games in January: coach Thompson and her team-- and Steve, and his coworkers-- would appreciate your support.