Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, February 09, 2007

Duke stayed unbeaten with a big win in Chapel Hill.

UNC couldn't hit a shot to save its life. Larkins 1 for 8, Pringle 2 for 11, McCants 1 for 7, Latta 3 for 20. It was brutal. "It's pretty simple," said coach Hatchell, "We've just got to shoot the ball better.

"They're a great defensive team, but I was open," Latta said. "Usually I hit the shots, but they just weren't falling." (It's hard to get off-balance 25-footers to fall very often, even if you are "open.")

Credit Duke's defense, especially Harding's defense on Latta. Said Harding: "We know she's an excellent three-point shooter. I wanted to make her put the ball on the floor, get past me and score over Alison Bales."

This was the Devils' first win over the Tar Heels in six tries. "It's about time," said Harding. "It's my senior year."