Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, February 02, 2007

Georgia Tech picked up perhaps the biggest win in team history, taking down the defending national champs.

The Ramblin' Wreck took a double-digit lead on Maryland's double-digit first-half turnovers; in a game with 76 free throws, Maryland's Coleman and Tolliver fouled out.

Tech senior Stephanie Higgs finished with 26, including the final free throws that sealed it. "I love it... I told my teammates, 'I've got it,'" she said.

Tech coach (and ex-Purdue star) MaChelle Joseph: "That last minute... lasted for eternity. I thought my hair was going to turn gray."

Joseph's team has improved since last season's struggles, but nothing in this year's schedule would have predicted last night's stunner in Atlanta. "When you start winning, you start clicking," Joseph declared. "We knew this was turn-the-corner time."

Georgia Tech's box scores, by the way, are unusably ugly: anyone for a redesign?