Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, May 18, 2007

With all five starters back, the Storm season preview focuses on the deeper bench that Anne Donovan was looking for. "Our bench this year is going to have all kinds of depth. I think the last time I saw that was when we won the championship," said Janell Burse.

Along with an improved bench a key for the team will be the improved health of players like Lauren Jackson and Wendy Palmer.

One player especially focused on getting back to the 2004 Championship level for the Storm and quieting critics of last year's team is Sue Bird.

Along with the changes in head coaches around the league, there was movement by some assistants. Shelley Patterson joins the Storm staff after stints in Charlotte, L.A. and Indiana. She replaces Jessie Kenlaw, who is now on Karleen Thompson's staff in Houston.

The Seattle P-I also looks at the long off-season that is spent overseas by most players. Betty Lennox said that the money is the main reason she goes over. "For me, it's not a joy that I go overseas and play so far from home," Lennox said. "I go over there to better my financial situation and then maybe learn about that culture."