Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, September 17, 2007

In retrospect, Detroit lost the series in Game 4. Cheryl Ford, possibly the Shock's most important player, never recovered from the injury sustained therein. She barely played yesterday. The rest of the Shock never recovered emotionally.

"Everybody knows we should have won Game 4 in Phoenix," Deanna Nolan said. "Unfortunately, we couldn't pull it out."

With Ford out, Detroit needed players like Cash, Pierson, and Braxton to play great. They didn't. Cash, a former All-WNBA player and the face of the franchise, averaged just 8 points and 3 rebounds in the Finals. After the game, she talked of moving on.
It's not a secret that there was tension between Bill and me. If you watched throughout the season and saw how I was played, you could tell. Bill seemed to be harder on me than the other players. I don't know why. I've just tried to maintain a professional attitude no matter what. That's how I would like to be remembered.
(But will Laimbeer be back next year? Asked after the game, he gave an ambiguous response. "This is ok," he said.)

For its part, Phoenix was phenomenal. They took a lead in the game's first minute and never gave it up. They shot a blistering 73% in the first quarter and cruised for the final 30. In the second half, the lead was never less than nine.

Led by Penny's 30, the Big Three combined for 73 points. Cappie took the MVP honors.

"It's been a long time coming," she said. "It's something I've been waiting for."

The title game was probably Paul Westhead's last in the W. "I've used the line from the song Drift Away," he said, describing his postgame speech. "I sincerely mean it. I said it to them again: 'Thanks for the joy you've given me.' This has been fun."

His legacy? It might be that he helped to change the style of play throughout the league. At a minimum, he produced one of the most exciting championship teams and championship series in league history.

And he brought Mercury fans a title.