Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Even though I love basketball, I actually hate it. First of all there's all that running... and the rim and I... well, let's just say that I am skill-free when it comes to shooting a basketball.

Me, I like throwing at a movable target -- like a first baseman. Which is why I loved playing softball. Which is why I encourage people to check out the movement to reinstate softball in the Olympics.

In June, the International Softball Federation (ISF) launched its campaign to get softball reinstated for the 2016 Olympic Games by unveiling a new look and a 10 point blueprint. ISF President Don Porter launched the two-year initiative at a press conference during the VIII Junior Women’s World Championship (19-and-under, fast pitch).

“Two years may seem like a long time,” said Porter. “But in campaigning it’s just enough time to make some real improvements and then communicate them. This will be an action-orientated campaign.”


You can also check out the Back Softball website and their Ten Point Blueprint (pdf alert!). Back Softball is the official name of the campaign launched by the International Softball Federation to reinstate Softball on to the Olympic Programme for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016.

The IOC will decide on the sports for the Games in 2016 at the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen in 2009.

And by the way, if you want, you can send me money. I promise I won't buy beer with it. I'm more of a bourbon girl.