Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, November 29, 2007

Even with an email heads up, it took a little hunting to find Richard Deitsch's piece on "The Break-Up," aka Summitt's decision to cancel the Tennessee/UConn series.
The real losers in this unfortunate mess are the fans and players, especially the underclassmen. "Am I disappointed? Not really," says Tennessee senior forward Nicky Anosike. "Our schedule is stacked with great teams and I don't think we will be missing anything competition-wise if we don't play them. But I've also been pretty blessed to play them three times. I feel bad the freshman don't get a chance to experience that."
Deitsch knows if the Orange and National Blue meet up in this year's tournament, it would make for great TV. So does Geno... and I'm going to make you read the story to find out what he said about the possibility.

While hunting for the piece (bloody SI.com!), I discovered Tracy did some more power ranking write-ups noting
Several teams remain unbeaten through the early weeks of the season, but two have really separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Tennessee is beating opponents by an average of 27 points. Connecticut is winning by an even more impressive 40 points a game. That's not against an easy schedule, either.
.. and did we know Kelli had written about Essence Carson and C. Viv's first meeting with the guard after a summer basketball camp?
"I hear you play the piano," said Stringer. "So do I. When you come for your official visit next year, I'll play the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for you. If I miss one note, you don't have to consider coming to Rutgers. But if I play it perfectly, will you promise to be a Scarlet Knight?"

Carson remembers chuckling; Stringer remembers hearing a yes.
Maybe if every WHB reader clicks on the links SI.com will get the hint and not make finding their writer's work such a snipe hunt.