Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Sunday, December 16, 2007

Much has changed for Dee Dee Jernigan in the last two years, the most significant being the loss of her mother to cancer.

Hillary Smith writes about Jernigan's journey from Purdue to Rutgers to Xavier via Wabash Valley College.
"I had a problem setting goals. I just recently learned -- like 2006 when my mother passed -- I just started setting goals," Jernigan said. "That's probably why I didn't want to go (to professional basketball). But then I started setting goals and that will take me a step closer to my goals. So I have to go through the WNBA to get closer to my goal, so, yeah, I want to go."

Before her mother's death, the WNBA was something Jernigan avoided talking about. Now it's a step to the ultimate ambition: Being wealthy enough to take care of her family.