Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Getting coverage for women's sports -- specifically women's basketball -- takes work. It's not just about proving to the media that fans care, which they can then translate to advertisers as "fans will spend money." You've got to convince the media itself (as Marie Hardin notes).

One down, zillions to go. Writes Steve Cameron in his column, "These aren't the same girls I remember:"
If you'd told me -- back in those first few years I worked in the newspaper biz -- that I'd be out on a rainy night covering girls hoops because it really mattered, well...

I'd have laughed.

In fact, girls didn't even play organized sports in high school when I started -- or if they did, it wasn't considered important enough that you'd actually print a score in the sports section.

Even when Title IX was written into law and equal opportunities were mandated for female athletes, most of us simply yawned.