Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Monday, February 25, 2008

You're going to laugh, but at the beginning of the season I TOLD the NYTimes' Frank Litsky that he was going to have to arm wrassle Jere to see who was going to be the first to write about Maya Moore.

Frank won.

In a piece published tomorrow (and, yet, up on the website today, Internet magic!) you'll find the first of what I can only imagine will be many: In Freshman Season, Moore Shows UConn What May Come.
In an interview last week, Moore said of her coach: “He’s very direct. He’s not afraid to speak what’s on his mind. I like that because he’s going to tell you what you need to hear. I’ve never played for anyone like that. He yells at me. I understand. I’m a freshman and probably make more mistakes than a senior. I’ve been out of position and didn’t know where I should be. I’ve shot too fast. I’ve rushed things. I’ve made bad turnovers.

“I know how to take it. It’s not personal. You just keep playing. If you make a turnover, get back. If someone scores on you, you score on them.”