Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, April 11, 2008

In Canada, they're rallying around Carolyn Sturgess, who received the diagnosis of terminal breast cancer in spring of 2005. Sturgess was was a part of two national championship women's basketball teams at Laurentian University.

...wearing the pink uniforms makes team captain Chelsea Serafini, 14, and her teammates think beyond basketball.

"I find now that we're talking about things, I've started to understand a lot more about the struggle and the long journey of treatment," Serafini said, wearing a pink uniform outside the team's practice gym at ecole Sacre-Coeur.

"It's not like it changes just that person's life, but it changes the lives of people around them. "I actually feel really good when I put on the uniform, because I feel like I'm helping Carolyn and other people. It makes them feel good to know we're thinking about them."