Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, May 23, 2008

Big Syl had a much better game in her second outing and the Sky's home opener. Candice Dupree was perfect from the floor and nearly perfect from the line and Armintie Price scored a career high 22. The result was a 87-77 win over the Monarchs.

In the Monarchs' earlier games, it was mentioned by the broadcast teams that they wanted to run a lot more this season. But it was the Sky who really pushed the tempo and scored on one fast break after another.

"My teammates tell me no one can stop me, so that's in my head now and I'm trying to take it to the hole," Price said. "I can jump and I can pass, but I have to be able to knock down shots when my teammates pass it to me."

''That's what I'm used to -- blocking shots and running the floor,'' said Fowles. We just wanted to make a good impression and ... win.''

Before the game, Price was honored for winning last season's Rookie of the Year award. The arena upgrades (including a big screen for replays and highlights) were highlighted throughout the game by the broadcast crew of Eric Collins and Stacey King. Stacey takes over for Nikki McCray and he is not nearly as much of a homer as Nikki was. The celebrities taking in the game were also shown throughout the broadcast and included Stacey Dales, Dwayne Wade and Quentin Richardson.