Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dunks in women's basketball are an interesting thing. Some people love'em because they believe they bring a level of excitement to the game. Some people hate'em because they believe it pushes the women's game more towards a "look at me!" style of play.

Me? I honestly could care less. A quick pondering of the numbers would quickly reveal the miniscule percentage of women's players that can -- or will -- dunk. On the boys side, it's de rigeur (and no one will listen to me when I suggest the boys have outgrown the size of the court and the height of the basket). I don't imagine it will EVER become common place in the women's game.

In fact, for every person who goes, "Ooo, look at the athleticism of *fill-in the blank*, she can dunk. It's amazing to see how the female athlete's body has progressed" there are 10 knuckleheads who are comparing the "quality" of the dunk to a male player's dunk, and using it as a reason to dismiss women's basketball because "It's not like the NBA."

So, when people say a player will "Change the game" because of her ability to dunk, I don't believe'em. That doesn't mean I won't acknowledge Parker's ability to elevate. But to be honest, that's not the part of her game I admire.

The above rambling was inspired by the posting of this: Sylvia Crawely's Blindfolded ABL ASG dunk.