Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So, what's the power of an unacknowledged correction?

When the men's national basketball team roster was announced, the NYTimes headline read: "U.S. Basketball Roster Announced."

Anyone who's read me for any length of time KNOWS what I posted in the comments section. It read something like
"Gee, I know you're all boy-centered and all, but there are two national teams: Women's and Men's. So, to be accurate, your headline should read U.S. Men's Basketball Roster Announced."
And then I added something nice about "good luck and I hope the team enjoys Beijing and learned from Athens...."

Here's the interesting thang: The correction was made, but my comment is not listed in the comments section. EVEN THOUGH the comments section does have some NYTimes responses and notes of corrections within the original article prompted by comments....

Interesting editorial choice, no?