Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Well, this pretty much stinks for wbball fans -- especially those in the D.C. area -- and puts a face on the challenges faced by newspapers and the impact it has on the coverage of women's basketball.

Milton Kent (one of the few mainstream to comment D.L. Hughley's remarks about the 2007 Rutgers team) writes in to say:
You all have been so kind to me over the years, posting my pieces when warranted and being supportive, so I thought I should let you know that, after 23 years at the Baltimore Sun, I have taken a buyout, having left the paper on August 1.

I have covered women's basketball since the fall of 1982, going back to my sophomore year at Maryland. However, as I'm sure I don't need to remind you, women's basketball coverage has taken a decided back seat at some papers. For instance, after I had covered the previous 13 Final Fours, regardless of which teams were involved, the Sun hasn't covered a Final Four since Maryland won the title in 2006.

I was told that, besides losing my high school sports column, that the Sun was going to reduce coverage of Maryland to an occasional feature, rather than staffing each home game, as we had done in the past two years. That arrangement was untenable to me, so I left.

In my fondest wish, I would love to be able to cover women's ball full time for a media outlet, but I don't think that will be possible, given the current reality. Still, I hope that where ever I land that women's basketball will be a big part of that assignment. Many of the good things that have happened to me as an adult are because of women's ball, up to and including meeting my dear wife in the stands of a Washington Mystics game. I've made some tremendous friends as a result of this sport, and whether I cover it again or not, it will always be a part of my life.

Thanks for all your help, and I will be reading you closely.
WHB extends our appreciation and good wishes to Milton. I might recommend he move north to Connecticut, but even "The Horde" is enduring cuts. Which simply underscores the need for fans to encourage and compliment their local sports desk.