Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The WNBA and USO co- held the Inspiring Women luncheon and basketball clinic Aug. 20 at Fort Bragg where Lt. Col. Kirsten Brunson was honored with the WNBA’s Inspiring Women Award, thanks to a letter written by her husband, Lt. Col. Xavier Brunson.

“Everybody keeps saying that I’m the reason we’re here, but I don’t see it that way,” she said after accepting the award. “I’m here so my little girls (Raechel and Rebekah) can play basketball with (the WNBA players).”

She was talking about the free basketball clinic that Latta, Stinson and former Michigan State standout and current Charlotte Bobcat Shannon Brown set for later in the day. Brunson used the stage to credit the WNBA for being an inspiration for young women.

“I watch the WNBA, and I see strong, powerful, beautiful, positive, athletic women,” she said. “That’s what you do to inspire my children.”