Women's Hoops Blog

Inane commentary on a game that deserves far better


Friday, December 19, 2008

Congrats to current Drake coach Amy Stephens. She was named the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference's women's basketball coach of the century for the work she did at Division II Nebraska-Kearney.

She compiled a 197-43 record with Lopers from 1994-2002, and was the conference's coach of the year four times. She had seven 20-win seasons, and her teams earned seven consecutive berths to the NCAA Division II tournament.
"It's a great surprise, because I didn't have any idea they were doing an all-century team," Stephens said. "I'm honored and humbled, because I know how many great coaches there were. Many of the coaches went on to the Division I level.

"I just had a lot of phenomenal players that helped mold me as a coach. A lot of credit goes to them."